Open Source Software Backend Engineer – DataHub Project
We are seeking 2 engineers to implement new features on DataHub Open Source Project. DataHub is an open-source project started at LinkedIn and battle-hardened in production at scale at major enterprises.
DataHub, one stop shop for data discovery, data observability and federated governance from various sources, was originally built at LinkedIn and subsequently open-sourced under the Apache 2.0 License. It now has a thriving community with over a hundred contributors, and many companies are actively using it.
More about DataHub project: datahubproject.io
As a Backend engineer, you will:
- Develop storage engine layer, which includes MySQL, ElasticSearch, Apache Kafka, Neo4J
- Implement REST APIs for ingesting, indexing, and serving metadata
- Expand public-facing GraphQL APIs for accessing DataHub’s metadata graph
- Help build out a stream processing subsystem for responding to metadata change events
- Java Proficiency
- Familiarity with Kafka or stream processing
- Familiarity with one or more of MySQL, ElasticSearch, Apache Kafka, and Neo4J
- Nice to have: Familiarity with with GraphQL
- Eye for performance, scalability, readable code
- Excited about working with new, unfamiliar technologies
- Excited about designing, building, and operating new systems from end-to-end
Since this work is for our open source program, all of our contributions are by definition public and open source. You get to contribute to a meaningful technology that many other companies use all while improving your own public profile.
Our open source team is a fully remote and distributed team. This allows our team the freedom to get their work done where-ever they need to be. This was true and will still be true after normal travel resumes in the world.
What to Expect:
- A flat team structure and a highly collaborative culture that values progress over perfection and encourages creativity, innovation and diversity
- A highly motivated global team of colleagues
- A flexible working style, remote friendly, where only 1-2 hours overlap with PST zone is needed to connect with other open source developers
- Competitive compensation
WHO WE ARE?
Bakson Ltd is a software development company based in Belgrade. We are working with teams around the world and take pride on variety of projects we handle and technology we use.
HOW DO WE WORK?
Our workflow is inspired by Agile and Lean principles. We’re not devoted to Scrum or any other framework, but are trying to work in small batches, with fast feedback and very close interaction with product owners.
The emphasis in our team is on collaboration and mutual support – sharing project workflow with globally distributed teams, contributing code to core global services and applications, and encouraging cultural exchange between development groups. Bakson encourages working from home, and the distributed nature of our teams requires us to have flexibility around working hours. We’re familiar with asynchronous and remote work. A Software Engineer in our company is a core writer of code, but also an inspirer and an exemplar to other developers…
Basically, what we care about is that you are a self-starter, happy to work with others, and prepared to adapt and do your best.